“Isolated between the Atlantic Ocean and Spain, Portugal has retained many of its native varieties which are only just beginning to be highlighted in the US market. For me, these wines show tremendous value in both price and distinct characteristics. The 2013 Quinta do Vallado Vinho Tinto from the Douro exhibits just this in its dark, savory juiciness (perfect for those summer BBQs) and price – under $15 a bottle! At the lowest price in the country, this is one of those wines you can buy by the case. Fire up the grill, grab a bottle and enjoy!” –Jim Knight, The Wine House

“For me the Douro has always been about the balance between power and elegance, seen in both port and table wines where savoury, dark-fruited finesse and deliciously dry tannins shine more often than red-fruited, silky sweetness.” –Julie Harding, MW, February 2017
2013 Quinta do Vallado Douro Red


This blend is dark red, with crimson highlights and an intense, mature red fruit nose, with hints of violets and “esteva” (a local Portuguese herb that has sweet, warm balsamic aromas with a hint of earthiness). The palate shows great structure and a full-bodied elegance, with mature, round tannins, leading to a long, persistent finish.

Winemaker Notes
Eighty percent of the Estate-grown grapes came from younger vines (8-to-12 years of age), with the remaining 20% coming from very old parts of the vineyards (vines of 70 years or older). Grapes from both from the old and newer vines were fermented in 10,000 kg stainless steel tanks for one week. All the grapes were fermented at controlled temperatures, ranging between 78°-82° F (26°- 28° C). The finest of the first press wine, pressed using a traditional basket press, was also used for aging into the final blend. 75% of the final blend was aged 14 months in stainless steel tanks, while the remaining 25% was aged in 225 litre (50 gal) French Oak barriques for 14 months, until final blending.

Producer: Quinta do Vallado
Country: Portugal
Region: Douro
Blend: Primarily Touriga Franca, Touriga Nacional and Tinta Roriz with Sousao, Tinta Amarela, Tinta Barroca, and Tinta Cao


The Estate - Tradition
Quinta do Vallado, established in 1716, is one of the oldest and most famous "Quintas" in the Douro Valley. It once belonged to the legendary Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira, and still belongs to her descendents. It lies on both banks of the Corgo River, a tributary of the Douro river, near its mouth, close to the town of Peso da Régua.

For almost 200 years, Quinta do Vallado´s main activity was the production of Porto wines, that were commercialized by the Ferreira Port House (belonging to the Ferreira family). Following Dona Antónia Adelaide Ferreira´s great achievement, her great-grandson Jorge Viterbo Ferreira, and his son Jorge Cabral Ferreira were the main architects of the further development of the Quinta's vineyards and winery.

The Estate – Modern Times
Moving from the centuries-old tradition of selling the farm´s production to the Ferreira Portwine House, in 1993, under the direction of Guilherme Álvares Ribeiro and his wife Maria Antónia Ferreira, the company decided to extend the business towards the production, bottling and marketing of own-label wines.

Also in 1993 under the guidance of Prof. Nuno Magalhães, a deep restructuring of the vineyards was started, with the goal of increasing the production of high quality grape varieties. These new vineyards were planted with the best varieties in single plots, breaking with the old tradition of planting many different varieties in the same vineyard. The homogenization of treatment, ripening and picking times resulted in dramatic improvements to all harvesting and vinification processes, and translated into a much more regular, easy to control and economically efficient quality production.

One of the methods introduced was to implement a general preliminary survey of the crop. This allows to prune out surplus clusters from some of the high-producing varieties, while still green, greatly enhancing the quality and the richness of the remaining grapes.

With 50 ha of vineyards aged from 6 to 15 years and having kept 20 ha of the best old plots, some more than 90 years old, Quinta do Vallado, and it's executives João Ferreira Álvares Ribeiro, Francisco Ferreira (head of agricultural management) and Francisco Olazabal (oenologist), all descendants of Dona Antónia, has achieved internationally acclaimed levels of quality and recognition.

The construction of the new winery and barriques cellar started in 2008 and was concluded in the fall of 2009. It combines state of the art technology with a high quality architecture project, making it one of the must-see places in the Douro valley.

Facebook             Twitter             Instagram


The Wine House
2311 Cotner Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90064-1877

310.479.3731 or 800.626.9463

(0 for assistance)

Email Marketing by ActiveCampaign